Thursday, June 25, 2009

A lesson learnt


mc hammer lives in brislington
Originally uploaded by Nevoir.


I generally try and make time to take pictures. Often i'll get stuck into work in the week and decide that I will do take some photos during the weekend in order to feed the habit. This doesn't seem to be working. Surely the perfect balance is to try and weave photography into everyday life. This is the new plan.

Part of this plan if i'm honest seems to be an elaborate  way of justifying getting myself a compact camera that I can sling in my bag and take with me everywhere as my slr is just too big. I think i'm going to get the Canon G10, shoots raw, nice big screen and not too big.

The importance of just having any old camera with me struck me after posting this shot of a local sign to flickr a couple of weeks ago. Its received more views, comments etc than any shot i've posted that have been meticulously taken with expensive kit. The mc hammer shot was taken with a little ixus, the camera is irrelevant, its all about the photo. 

Don't get too obsessed with kit, the magazines will make you think you need all sort of gubbins but you'll be amazed how much you can do with a basic camera and a 50mm lens. If you go out and spank a fortune on a camera that you are too worried about taking out of the house then what's the point?

The best advice that i'm trying to follow is that as a photographer you should have your camera with you everywhere you go. This is great advice. Not only will you never miss an opportunity but you'll be taking pictures every day and as a photographer you'll be indulging your passion. I'm off to the camera shop (again).

No comments: