Friday, January 05, 2007

Lily macro


lily_soft
Originally uploaded by Nevoir.
For the sake of a couple of quid a bunch of lilies provide a great macro subject. They have now all fully flowered and have stunk the flat out but have lasted ages and are still bloomin after a week indoors.

I set up a macro studio, using my strobist budget jobbie and lit it from either side using some desklamps. These flowers give you so many shot choices from the stamens to more abstract shots using colour and limited depth of field.

After playing round with various compositions I settled on this shot, varying the depth of focus on the funny little bobbly bits that come from the petals. I preferred this on at f2.8, not only to satisfy my obsession with limited focus but also to try and take something a bit more original that the classic shots.

Details:

f2.8
1/15th second
tripod
105 mm macro
iso 200
remote release
raw
nikon d70

No comments: