Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Macro mania


fungi
Originally uploaded by Nevoir.
After toying with the idea for what seems like months I finaly took the plunge and invested in a macro lens. I justified it on the basis that (a) it was christmas and more importantly (b) i wanted one.

I plumped for a Sigma 105mm 2.8 as I have read various good reviews of them and after trying one put the other week it was simply a matter of time.

Overall its an impressive lens and i've been really pleased with the results given that i've no real idea how to use it yet. It's so much easier than playing round with extension tubes and metering through the lens saves loads of messing around.

My last day before work started again was spent at Lacock Abbey. After failing to catch a barbel from the swollen river Avon I resorted to a macro mission and found a few interesting things to shoot. It's amazing with these lenses how many shots you can get in a small area of land. I need to learn to look again, these lenses make you think in a very different way, its great as there wil be thousands of shots to take on my doorstep that i've never thought of before.

This was taken at pretty close to lifesize. I played around with a few versions with different depths of field but plumped for this one at 5.6.

Details:

sigma 105 macro
nikon d70
f 5.6
iso 200
1/10 sec
tripod
raw

No comments: